The Chandler Engineering Model 3500 and 3500LS+ Viscometers are designed to measure the rheological properties of test fluids by measuring shear stress at specific shear rates. The Models 3500 and 3500LS+ are concentric cylinder rotational viscometers. These viscometers are the standard instruments referred to in the industry standards API Spec 10 (well cements), API RP 13B (drilling fluids) and API RP 39 (fracturing fluids).
The Chandler Engineering Model 3500 and 3500LS+ Viscometers are versatile instruments that have been used in research laboratories, field and mobile labs, and onsite QC testing.
Both viscometers can be equipped with a variety of bobs, rotors, and springs. This provides the user with a wide measurement range in addition to providing different gap sizes depending upon the fluid being tested. In addition, the 3500LS+ has a low-end RPM of 0.1, enabling a measurement at 0.17sec-1 when equipped with the R1, B1 configuration. The measurement fluid is contained within the annular space or shear gap between the rotor and bob. The rotor is rotated at known velocities (shear rates) and the viscous drag exerted by the test fluid creates torque on the bob. This torque is transmitted to a precision torsion spring, and its deflection is measured and related to shear stress. The equations used to calculate the fluid viscosity are presented later in the manual
- Easy to set-up, easy to operate, easy to clean and maintain.
- Broad range of sensitivity/scalability through the use of different springs and rotor/bob combinations to accommodate a wide variety of fluid types.
- Use of a DC controlled motor allows the Model 3500/3500LS+ to be used in a 50Hz or 60Hz environment while maintaining the proper RPM readings.
- Preset speed to include 1, 2, 3, 6, 10, 20, 30, 60, 100, 200, 300 and 600 RPM for the Model 3500. The Model 3500LS+ additionally has speeds of 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, and 0.6 RPM.
- Precision machining of the rotor, the bob, and support pieces allow perfect alignment each time the instrument is used.
- Stainless steel sample cup comes scribed for 350ml sample size.
Operating Conditions: 75°F - 194°F (24°C - 90°C)
Maximum Temperature: 194°F (90°C)
Input Voltage: 110 or 220 VAC ± 15%; 50/60 Hz ± 10%
Power: 700 Watts
Sample Container Volume: 350mL
Shear Rate Accuracy: +/- 0.01 RPM
Torque Accuracy: +/- 0.5 dial reading from 1 to 260 degrees
Operating Speeds: Model 3500: 1, 2, 3, 6, 10, 20, 30, 60, 100, 200, 300, 600 RPM
Model 3500LS+: same as 3500 plus 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, and 0.6 RPM
Shear Rate Range: Sec-1 = k3N Where: N = RPM, k3 = Shear Rate Constant
(k3 values are listed in the Calculation Section of the manual)
35-0175 Case, Carrying: For safe transport of the Chandler Model 3500 Viscometer. Separate compartments for the bob and sample cup.
Thermalcup: This unit contains a thermostat and a heater for controlling the temperature of the fluid in the stainless steel sample cup. Sample
temperatures up to 200oF (93oC) can be achieved.
3500-02 Kit, Calibration: Used to calibrate the torque measuring system on the Chandler Model 3500 Viscometer. Kit includes a supporting bracket, 1.00 cm radius spool for bob shaft, five metric weights, and case.
Dimensions: 18.2” (46cm) high x 7” (18cm) wide x 12” (31cm) deep
Net Weight: 47 lbs (21 kg)